Firkin Crane – Dance Artists Supports presents…
Butter Nights #1 (There will be More)!
THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS HAS BEEN EXTENDED UNTIL MONDAY 6TH AUGUST
Open Call for Proposals
Butter Nights is an evening designed to exchange ideas, movement and food between artists based in Cork and adjoining counties of Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford. This is a unique opportunity to see new movement and re-designed performances from artists, receive feedback from peers, catch-up with colleagues and meet with other artists and members of the public over dinner. Butter Nights #1 takes place on Friday November 30th 2018.
This inaugural event is supported by the Per Cent for Arts Scheme in connection with the publicly funded refurbishment project Re-Imagining Firkin Crane. Five artists will be selected through an open submission competition process.
The performance will comprise of short dance works by the selected artists, who will be paid a stipend and provided with in-kind studio space and technical and design support at Firkin Crane. The event will be a shared performance platform. The pieces of work can be a new work or an extract of a previous work and should be 10 to 15 minutes max in duration.
The Artists will be provided with up to 70 hours studio time over 3 months from September 2018 and Firkin Crane will pay the successful artists a stipend of €600 per project with an additional €100 towards production expenses. The selection process for Butter Nights #1 is through a panel of selectors made up of Dance Artists and Arts Professionals.
WHAT FIRKIN CRANE PROVIDES
Butter Nights #1 will take place in the Smurfit Theatre in Firkin Crane on Friday November 30th 2018.
Each artist will be provided with access to studio space for development and access to performance space for technical preparation with Technical and Design support from Firkin Crane during production week. The duration of access is dependent on the specific requirements of the individual artist(s).
Firkin Crane will work in partnership with the artist(s) in tailoring the supports based on the needs of the artists(s) subject to the resources available to Firkin Crane.
We will provide:
• 70 hrs access to studio space in the preceding 3 months: (times will depend on availability of studio space at Firkin Crane at any given time, between Monday and Friday, and within the working hours of 10am – 5.00pm).
• Access to the Theatre during production week. (times will depend on the requirements of the production and with consideration for the other participants requirements)
• A high level of technical support including access to a range of design supports. This could be in the form of designers in lighting, sound, costume, set etc.
• Access to equipment: Audio-visual equipment available in all spaces (training provided where necessary) as well as the usual technical stage equipment during production week (specifications available on request).
• Consultancy with Firkin Crane management team and the Cork City Dance Artists in Residence at Firkin Crane, Junk Ensemble, regarding areas of logistical, practical and / or creative solutions.
• Marketing support in the form of inclusion on Firkin Crane website and social media, the company newsletter, online listings and other relevant marketing material where possible.
• Artists’ stipend of €600 to be paid on delivery of the performance. The Artist must submit an invoice for payment.
• Production Expenses of €100 will be provided to the Artist prior to the production night. Receipts or unspent funds must be returned to Firkin Crane on completion of the project.
• Dinner on the night of the performance
Butter Nights #1 is open to individuals, companies, collaborative and cross art-form projects and groups who are based in Cork or adjoining counties of Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary and Waterford and contingent on their meeting the following eligibility criteria:
• Full involvement of a practicing, professional artist with choreography / performance at the individual’s core.
• In collaborative projects, movement should be a central element.
Firkin Crane aims to support proposals which:
• Welcome a consultative or collaborative engagement with Firkin Crane and its Butter Nights ethos.
• Have the capacity to enhance the work of the performer and possible participants.
• Have an evaluation element for self-analysis and resource feedback to Firkin Crane for its continuing development. Artist(s) are invited and encouraged to evaluate their experience at Firkin Crane
• Embrace a form of documentation for longer-term use of Firkin Crane and the local and regional dance community.
• Make a contribution to the development of performance / choreography in Ireland.
In return for Firkin Crane providing this support, attaching to any new work produced, or in progress, with the support of Butter Nights, Firkin Crane must be acknowledged as follows:
Whenever the work is advertised in the press or on posters etc., the following line should appear: Supported by Firkin Crane
It is also a requirement that the Firkin Crane logo is used on all posters, flyers etc.
It is the responsibility of the dance artist(s) to ensure that Firkin Crane is credited accordingly in any promotional material.
This accreditation should continue for the life of the work.
HOW ARTISTS ARE CHOSEN
The selection process for Butter Nights #1 is through a panel of selectors made up of Dance Artists and Arts Professionals.
HOW TO APPLY CHECKLIST
All proposals need to be submitted by email to Andrea Stapleton at email@example.com and should include:
• Contact details.
• A curriculum vitae / resume for each artist involved.
• No more than 200 words on the aims and objectives of the proposed work. (Please note selection criteria above).
• Samples of previous work: please provide three video clips of no more than 3 minutes each. If you are proposing an extract of a previous work, please include this video clip.
Deadline for receipt of applications:
Friday 27 July 2018 Extended to Monday 6th August
Panel meeting w/c 6 August
Announcements w/c 13 August
Should you have any questions please contact Andrea Stapleton. Tel:(021) 4507487 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org