Firkin Crane National Forum (Zoom Meeting)
Friday 3 July 2020; 11am – 1pm
Calling all Dance professionals and Dance and Movement Artists, as well as, Theatre Makers, and Community Members interested in the Venue.
The Board and executive of Firkin Crane invite you to a board facilitated meeting to look at proposed sectoral supports and engagements for 2020, and plans for re-opening theatres and arts organisations, at a National level.
We’d love to understand further what Firkin Crane can do to support contemporary dance practice in Cork and beyond, both through this current crisis and into the future.
National Forum meeting agenda 03/07/20
10.45am Opening up the meeting room 15 minutes ahead of time. Allowing early check in.
‘How to’ on opening slide.
- Introductions- Chair Yvonne Coughlan. CEO Paul McCarthy.
- Reference agenda.
- Communications Strategies
- Quarterly Town Hall meetings Sept/Dec/March/June
- Monthly LOCAL ARTISTS forum meetings 1st Friday 11am-1pm
- Re-opening strategy-updates
- Covid Compliance H&S training specific to the arts sector
Section 1 (11.10am)
Proposed Firkin Crane supports for artists
(A) The Jack Lynch House as a POD initiative.
(B) A funding application writing workshop.
(C) A tax session for self-employed artists.
(D) COVID RESPONSE INITIATIVE –
A competitive open call for 5 Bursaries at €1000 each, to support Cork based professional dance artists to develop their practice in the changing environment of Covid-19. Time and resources to think, research, reflect and explore new ways to critically engage with their art. To include:
- A colloquium where the 5 artists are facilitated by Firkin Crane to discuss findings.
- See call out details.
Feedback, responses, ideas for further supports. Section 1.
Section 2 (11.30am)
- Rowena Neville’s report and subsequent plans for the future of the organisation.
- The selection process for the Artistic Director (DSAD)
Feedback, responses, ideas and discussions. Section 2.
Section 3 (12pm)
- Introduction of the Board.
- Board re-structuring
- Expert Advisory Panel.
- Guest Speaker-Catherine Foley
Forum questions and response.
Section 4 (12.15pm)
- NCFA activity briefing. Guest speaker Tom Creed.
Forum response and questions.
Section 5 (12.30pm)
Additional forum topics
- Arts Council activity. Local and National
- The Reinstatement of Cork City Dance Artist in Residence at Firkin Crane.
- European funding and partnerships-FC experience, and open to new partnerships.
- Independent dance artist’s groups-historically there was Cork dance collective.
- Guest speaker-Siobhán Ni Dhuinnin
Forum response and questions.
Those present in an observational capacity
- Victoria O’Brien, Dance advisor to the Arts Council. (11am-12.30pm)
- Adrienne Rodgers, Director of Services, Community Culture & Placemaking. Cork City Council.
- Jessica Kennedy. Junk Ensemble. Current Cork City Dance Artists in Residence at Firkin Crane.
- Helga Deasy Incoming Cork City Dance Artist in Residence at Firkin Crane. (12pm-1pm)
- Cork City Council appointed Board members: Cllr. Kieran McCarthy, Cllr. Micheal Nugent (12-1pm)
- Additional Board Members: Conall Ó Riain. Patricia Crosbie.
- Board Elect: Anne Dempsey, Luke Murphy.
- Expert Advisory Panel-Catherine Foley
- Staff of Firkin Crane: Andrea Stapleton, Tim Feehily, Ann Rae.
- Dance Ireland- Shiela Creevey, Louise Costello
- Dance Limerick- Jenny Traynor (11am-12.30pm)
- Tara Constantine, Secretarial Assistant to Holly Cairns TD. Cork South West (Social Democrats)
- Culture Ireland representative. Unconfirmed.