Butter Nights #2
Open Call for Proposals
Presented by Cork City Dance Artists-in-Residence at Firkin Crane in association with Firkin Crane and Cork Midsummer Festival.
Butter Nights #2 is an evening of movement, creative exchange and food between artists. This is a unique opportunity to see new movement and meet with other artists and members of the public over dinner.
Butter Nights #2 will take place on Sunday June 23rd 2019 and will be included in the Cork Midsummer Festival Programme of events.
The event will take place at Firkin Crane in Cork as a shared performance in promenade-style, with dinner and wine afterwards for all of the participants and audience members.
Five artists will be selected through an open submission application process. The artists should be based in Cork or the adjoining counties of Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary, Galway and Waterford. For Butter Nights #2 there is a specific emphasis on artists who are in the early stages of their creative development.
Proposals should be for a new work or a re-visited / re-designed work of 10- 15 minutes max in duration. Suggestions of different performance locations within the building and directly outside the Firkin Crane are welcome, providing there is adequate space for the audience to view the work.
The selected artists will be paid a stipend of €400 per project with an additional €100 towards production expenses. The Artists will be provided with up to 50 hours in-kind studio time for development work from April 2019.
Each artist will be provided with access to studio space for development and access to the performance space for technical preparation and provided with technical and design support from Firkin Crane during the production week. Artists must be available during production week Wednesday 19th to Sunday 23rd June.
The duration of access to facilities is dependent on the specific requirements of the individual artist(s). Firkin Crane will work in partnership with the artist(s) in tailoring the supports based on the needs of the artists(s) subject to the resources available to Firkin Crane.
Butter Nights #2 is open to individuals, companies, collaborative and cross art-form projects and groups who are based in Cork or adjoining counties of Kerry, Limerick, Tipperary, Galway and Waterford. There is an emphasis on early-career work / artists who are in the early stages of their creative development.
Applicants should also meet the following eligibility criteria:
• Full involvement of a practicing, professional artist with choreography / performance at the core of the proposed work.
• Movement should be a central element in collaborative projects.
FIRKIN CRANE WILL PROVIDE:
• 50 hrs. access to studio space in the preceding months: (times will depend on availability of studio space at Firkin Crane at any given time, between Monday and Friday, and within the working hours of 10am – 5.00pm).
• Access to the theatre and other performance spaces during production week. (Times will depend on the requirements of the production and with consideration for the other participants’ requirements).
• Production/Technical support which includes access to a range of design supports (lighting, sound, staging, etc).
• Access to equipment: Audio-visual equipment available in all spaces (training provided where necessary) as well as the usual technical stage equipment available in the theatre during production week (specifications available on request).
• Consultancy with Firkin Crane management team and the Cork City Dance Artists in Residence at Firkin Crane (Junk Ensemble) regarding areas of logistical, practical and / or creative solutions.
• Marketing support in the form of inclusion on Firkin Crane website and social media, the company newsletter, online listings and other relevant marketing material where possible. Connection with Midsummer Festival marketing resources.
• Artist stipend of €400 to be paid on delivery of the performance. The Artist must submit an invoice for payment.
• Production Expenses of €100 will be provided to the Artist prior to the production night. Receipts or unspent funds must be returned to Firkin Crane on completion of the project.
HOW TO APPLY & CHECKLIST
All proposals need to be submitted by email to Andrea Stapleton at email@example.com and should include:
• Contact details.
• A curriculum vitae / resume for each artist involved.
• No more than 200 words on the aims and objectives of the proposed work. (Please note selection criteria above).
• Samples of previous work: please provide two video clips of no more than 3 minutes each. If you are proposing an extract of a previous work, please include this video clip.
The selection process for Butter Nights #2 is made through a panel of dance artists and arts professionals.
Deadline for receipt of applications: Friday 15th March 5pm
Announcements: Wednesday 27th March
Should you have any questions please contact Andrea Stapleton: Tel: (021) 4507487 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Butter Nights #2 is supported by The Cork City Dance Artist in Residence at Firkin Crane